Since its inception, every American President has endorsed a theme each year for Black History Month. The theme for 2022 is “Black Health and Wellness” — this message promotes the general wellbeing as well as the physical, mental and emotional progress of Black communities nationwide.
In honor of this mantra, Quiq Labs is offering a variety of lesson plans and activity guides that celebrate resilience and accomplishment throughout the African Diaspora — the plans and guides are as follows . . .
- Unity In Black | Social Emotional Learning Lesson | 6th—8th grade
- Black History Word Search | English History Activity | 5th—8th grade
- Dove and Peace | Arts & Crafts Activity | 5th—8th grade
- The Reasons in Black | English History Lesson | 3rd—5th grade
- A Handful of Love and Kindness | Arts & Crafts Activity | 1st—3rd grade
These hour-long teaching aides are perfect for after school programs. They help scholars learn the value of self-awareness, self-management and self-efficacy. Moreover, in keeping with the core principles of Black History Month, young people will have fun collaborating on goal-oriented tasks and build character by applying productive communication skills; all while building positive relationships with each other.
An extension of “Negro History Week” (the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson), President Gerald Ford officially recognized February as “Black History Month” in 1976 —calling upon Americans to, “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of Black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”